I am hoping that someone may have the answer to this. I created a new site on IIS (full disclosure, I created the first one incorrectly and removed it, if that matters).
My IIS server has several hosted sites, all working fine, apart from the new one.
I am to start with trying to access a static file index.html
- The application pool is set as default, the same as the other sites.
- The Path credentials are set as an admin account; I get the two green
- I have even tried setting this website to one of the other
website paths to test the file access and get the same 404 error! Weird.
- I have checked that the file I am accessing has the correct extension. There is nothing
in the log file being generated for this site. Tried a custom path
for a log and still nothing.
- With just the root address http://www.example.com/ I get the IIS default welcome page.
- I tried renaming the default websites bindings to the new site name to try
and use that directory. Same result, 404.
- Sites restarted. Server restarted.
I am totally at a loss and have googled silly.... any help greatly appreciated. Its a very odd error and I still wonder if its remembered something about the original site i created and deleted.